Thursday, April 19, 2012

choice, freedom and happiness

A friend of mine pointed me to this talk on Why are we happy? by Dan Gilbert as part of the TED series.  The gist of the talk is that people are happy regardless of external circumstances, and that we are happiest when we are stuck (although the situation may be objectively terrible).  So the person who wins the lottery, and the person who has an accident and becomes a paraplegic, are equally happy after a year!

Part of the immigrant experience is that one is constantly asking oneself: "Is this the right place for me?" I am indeed very lucky to have the choice to decide between two great places - NY and Munich - that are completely different, but charming in their own ways. But that choice makes me think, and not completely settle down in any place. 

Maybe freedom and choice really do not make people happy.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I found your blog on BlogExpat where my husband and I also list our expat blog, http://theviewdownunder.blogspot.com.

    About a year and a half ago we moved from New York City to Sydney and had a difficult time finding a reputable international mover. Because of our experience, we started GoodMigrations (http://GoodMigrationsHelps.com) as a free resource for people to rate their international moving company so others can make informed decisions.


    We're just starting out, so I'm reaching out to fellow expats to ask them to review their moving experiences on the site. If you could take 60 seconds to review your moving experience on the site (or even post the site link on your blog to spread the word to others), I would be grateful for your help!

    Many thanks,

    Sharon Laufer

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    my name is Simona and I am with the web research team at InterNations.org. We are the world’s leading social network for expatriates, with currently 500.000+ members in more than 322 cities worldwide.
    I really enjoyed reading your fantastic blog and believe that expats in Munich and around the world would not only - appreciate the entertaining content, but also benefit from the insights and perspectives you offer. Your blog really is a captivating read! This is why I would like to feature you and your writing in a designated section of InterNations.org , the Recommended Blog on Munich. We have designed a link badge for placement on your blog and would be glad to hear from you directly via our questionnaire!
    I hope my proposal has piqued your interest. If so, please feel free to contact me via email: featuredblogs@internations.org

    Best,
    Simona

    ReplyDelete